nanog mailing list archives

Re: Some truth about Comcast - WikiLeaks style

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:26:46 -0500

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 07:14:01PM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
That's rich, given the enormous quantity of spam sourced from Comcast's
network over the last decade.   (And yes, it's ongoing: 162 unique sources
in the last hour noted at one small observation point.)

Spam is irrelevant.  In this context, abuse = sending large amounts
of data to Comcast customers (at their request) without paying at
the Comcast toll booth.

Yes, I know; I did read that in context and understand the point
the original author was making.  I probably should have made that clear.

Now I realize that SMTP abuse isn't exactly the most bandwidth-chewing
problem.  However, it's a surface indicator of underlying security issues,
which in this particular case can be summarized as "one heck of a lot
of zombies".  Given that those systems are known-hostile and under the
control of adversaries, it's certain that they're doing all kinds of
other things that chew up a lot more bandwidth than the spam does.

It might even "improve" their ratios if they stopped those zombies
from sendig spam, participating in DDoS's, etc.  After all, that's
outgoing traffic, and the less they send, the worse the ratio gets
for networks sending data to Comcast.

True enough.  But its continued presence, *seven years* after it was
well-known to be a serious problem, tells us that Comcast either (a) can't
or (b) won't run its network properly.  So given this prima facie evidence
of either (a) systemic, chronic incompetence or (b) systemic, chronic
negligence, I think it's reasonable to wonder how many other aspects of
their operation are just as horribly broken, and what the impact of
that on their ability to carry steadily-increasing traffic might be.

---rsk