nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did your BGP crash today?

From: Claudio Jeker <cjeker () diehard n-r-g com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:10:30 +0200

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 01:09:47PM +0200, Leen Besselink wrote:
On 08/28/2010 11:39 AM, Saku Ytti wrote:
On (2010-08-28 18:20 +0900), Randy Bush wrote:

a bgp regression suite would not have caught this as it was not a
repeat.  but it sure would be useful to implementors.

Naturally 'proving' that non-trivial software works is practically
impossible. But stating what non-existing test-suite would or would not
have covered is not a topic I'm particularly interested to engage.

I suggest the test-tool has 2 bgp-sessions and tests if what it put in
did or did not come out on the otherside and in what shape or form.

There are already atleast 2 projects which have BGP-code which could
probably be adapted:
http://code.google.com/p/exabgp/
http://code.google.com/p/bgpsimple/

Can I suggest a fuzzer as wel ?

There was once cert-bgp-testcases-28may03-final.tar.gz which did some
testing (including expected responses). I use it from time to time.
From the README:
For more information see the NANOG 28 (http://www.nanog.org) presentation

"BGP Vulnerability Testing: Separating Fact from FUD"
by Sean Convery (sean () cisco com) and Matthew Franz (mfranz () cisco com)

But my quick googeling failed to locate a link to it.
--
:wq Claudio