nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring Tools

From: Curtis Maurand <cmaurand () xyonet com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:36:13 -0400

 On 8/19/2010 4:23 PM, Phil Regnauld wrote:

        <hat employer=other>
        While developing our own monitoring product, we've had to deal with
        various constraints from the customer side, for instance pharmaceutical
        companies where there was no way installing an agent on PLC machines would
        pass internal audit, without having the entire system re-validated (we're
        talking FDA-validated medication production here).
        </hat>

        But often, SNMPD ships with or is available as an optional base
        component (Windows, most UNIXes) and it's easier to convince the IT
        suits.  Go figure.

        Oh, and it avoided us having to install an agent on 1000+ servers :)

But the configuration learning curve for SNMP is very steep indeed.

--Curtis