nanog mailing list archives

Re: (cisco, or any) acl *reducers* out there?

From: George Michaelson <ggm () apnic net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:23:51 +1000

On 19/08/2010, at 1:00 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

something which can take a couple of hundred basic and extended ACLs and tell you
these <ten> don't work
these <twenty> conflict
the remaining <x> have a sequence and can reduce to this basic <x-y> set

maybe you could go the other direction.  as opposed to trying to digest
and correct cruft, generate the acls from something reasonable so that
they are canonic by construction.

randy

A reasonable call. Its probably where we'll be by default, because there isn't anything there and I think first
principles upward is better than paring back.

Thanks for the responses (and Roland!)

I think its clear a tool like I asked doesn't exist, and very probably won't, anytime soon.

cheers

-G