nanog mailing list archives

Re: Question of privacy with reassigned resources

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:48:02 -0400

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:40 PM, todd glassey <tglassey () earthlink net> wrote:
 On 8/3/2010 4:07 PM, ML wrote:
As an SP in the MDU (multi dwelling unit) market we dutifully SWIP
netblocks for each apartment complex/condo/etc.  Doing such we
publically publish the physical address an IP lives (sans Apt/Unit #).

Would anyone feel this is too much information for people to know?
Should our SWIPs be more generic, local POP address or local corporate
office, just enough for rough geolocation accuracy?

I realize what ARIN prefers, this is more of an opinion gathering.
-ML

CALEA may come into play there meaning that there is no privacy per se.

calea != ARIN policies... the above comment is a red-herring/fud.

reading the policies (roughly paraphrased) I'd say you need to
(depending where you line up with william's questions)
  A swip the block the building uses (postal address probably fine) -
presumes +/29 to a building, of course
  B swip as 'residential' anything larger than a /29 that lands at a
single dwelling being used for residential things
  C swip as a normal record anything larger than a /29 that lands at a
single dwelling but considered a 'business'

as examples of these:
A - 1515 Connecticut Ave, Washington DC - The Regency Towers
Apartments (fictitious apartment building)
B - Private customer - Verizon Internet Services Inc. FTTP  (Joe
Plumber Apartment #5 inside The Regency Towers Apartments)
C - Joes Plumbing and Handyman services - Apt #5 1515 Connecticut Ave
(the business address at that apartment location)

-chris