nanog mailing list archives

Re: off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

From: Nick Hilliard <nick () foobar org>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 17:45:51 +0100

On 09/08/2010 16:12, Christopher Morrow wrote:
I think, from another list about 2 yrs ago, the person responsible for
this data inside the company at the time (now not there) said someone
misinterpreted his stats/numbers...

No doubt this is true. And I note we haven't even started discussing whether this "doubling every N time periods" refers to bit-rate, bytes passed or daily max.

I would have said that most networks during that period had occasional burst growth rates of up to 100% within 100 days. The growth curve second derivative is usually much bumpier than the first derivative. So, regardless of source, the quotation is a truism, an urban myth and ultimately means very little.

Nick