nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN IP6 policy for those with legacy IP4 Space

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:42:32 +0000

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 11:29:25AM -0700, joe mcguckin wrote:
This is a pretty boring topic. It's been argued many times over.

I think the more interesting discussion is:
  - Where is ARIN and the RIR's headed?
  - What will ARIN look like 10 years from now?

        yuppers.  this topic -could- engender those discussions

Mission creep seems to be pervasive in all organizations. ICANN with a headcount of over 100 and a budget exceeding
60MM fulfills a core function
that used to be performed by what? 2.5 full-time persons?

        the IANA budget was just north of 750K/yr and btwn 2 and 4.5 persons.
        the ICANN bduget, when new TLDs are approved in the next 18 months - is expected to be somewhat north of
500MM/year

Is this the fate that awaits ARIN?

        nope - well i hope not.

After all, IPV6 space is inexhaustible - right. So what if some idiot wants to grab 50 allocations...

        its not.

If we want to keep the size of the routing tables down, why isn't ARIN charging MORE for end-user assignments. A lot
more, like the same or even more
than what allocations cost.

        'cause ARIN isn't the routing police - yet.  wait for widespread adoption of  rPKI... :)

--bill