nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ?

From: Mans Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 06:32:54 +0200

Subject: Re: New Linksys CPE, IPv6 ? Date: Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:35:32PM +0200 Quoting sthaug () nethelp no (sthaug
() nethelp no):
What I heard at a recent (within the past six months) conference was
that "there is no customer demand for v6" so it isn't on the immediate
needs list.  He said they had a lot of inquiries about v6, but to date
not having native v6 wasn't a deal breaker with anyone.

Last time we renegotiated transit contracts, we specified IPv6 as an
absolute requirement. *Native* IPv6 was an added plus.

We went further and required native. At 10GE interconnect speed, one is
in the recently-upgraded core or metro access layer of most providers.
These parts of the network have been ready (if not set up) for v6 for
at least 5 years now. Did not pose a problem.  All I need to do now is
to set up the peering ;-)

Had I been looking for a FE transit I'd had much more issues with v6
connectivity.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668