nanog mailing list archives

Re: Finding content in your job title

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:00:11 -0500

On 4/7/2010 17:45, Gregory Hicks wrote:

Actually, it doesn't matter how much you make per hour, the deciding
factor between exempt and non-exempt is how many (if any) people you
SUPERVISE.  No supervision of others, then non-exempt.

I don't think that is correct.  "Professionals" do not supervise people
but if the substantial control their own activities and make above a
certain level in total compensation, they may be exempt.

Now you and the employer may agree to some other definition, but that
is between you and them.

At my previous $DAY_JOB, a technicion who was classified as "exempt"
took $EMPLOYER to court over back pay, overtime, lunch breaks, et al
and WON.  (He had no direct reports...)

He probably failed the compensation test, or more likely, did not
control his own activities.

--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs