nanog mailing list archives

Re: Edu versus Speakeasy Speedtest

From: Jeff <jeffnanog () hvnc net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:49:08 -0400

On 4/30/10 3:15 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

Your observation is disturbingly bleak... do you have a recommendation?

...perhaps a site with good bandwidth and a cluster of iperf(1) boxes
available? :)

There are better tools than a simple iperf server:

http://psps.perfsonar.net/toolkit/

There are many perfsonar sites to choose from in I2/NLR land. Most gigapops and I2 networks run at least one.

The problem is the Faculty^Wusers are smart, but not experienced in networking, so they buy into the marketing and eye candy of the speed dials on the Speakeasy and assorted speed testing tool sites. They see low numbers and then are difficult to convince that the devil is in the details. (which is odd, because that's what they do as scientists.)

They also typically don't see the $$$$ spent on i2/nlr connections vs the $ spent on commodity internet connections. ;)

Jeff