nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Re: http://tools.ietf.org/search/draft-hain-ipv6-ulac-01]

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 23:41:16 -0700

On Apr 25, 2010, at 7:37 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Doug Barton wrote:

On 04/25/10 16:42, Owen DeLong wrote:
That's what Link Local is for.

fe80::<EUI-64>%<interface>

For example, if the CPE is connected to the customer's network on eth0
and the CPE mac address is 00:45:4b:b9:02:be, you could go to:

http://[fe80::0245:4bff:feb9:02be]%eth0

... and regardless of the specific method, the vendors already document
the procedure for connecting to the web interface for IPv4, there is no
reason to believe that they could not or would not do the same for IPv6
if necessary.

Does anyone actually believe that the above is user-friendly and will work in real life? Using link-local for this
kind of end-user administration of their equipment is doomed to fail. There needs to be a procedure for devices which
are going to get DHCP-PD from the provider, that they have a certain prefix they use until they actually get the real
PD prefix, so end user dns etc works so it's easy to do administration of the device.

I fail to see how link local is any more difficult than any other IPv6 address.

I also fail to see how this is significantly different from the way these devices work in IPv4.

We can't expect end-users to do the above procedure.

Of course not... End users will get a slip of paper with the computed Link Local already on it
in the form of connect to http://[fe80::0245:4bff:feb9:02be]%xxx

Where xxx will be en0 for Mac, eth0 for Linux, etc.
If it's a wireless adapter, it will be en1 for Mac.

Windows might get interesting as windows interface naming is, uh, creative at best.

Owen