nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:52:31 +0000

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 07:46:50AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 7:30 AM,  <bmanning () vacation karoshi com> wrote:
On the other hand, I could swear I've seen a draft where the PC picks
up random unused addresses in the lower 64 for each new outbound
connection for anonymity purposes. Even if there is no such draft, it
wouldn't exactly be hard to implement. It won't take NAT to anonymize
the PCs on a LAN with IPv6.

       the idea is covered by one or more patents held by cisco.

Won't stop the worms from using it to hide which PC they're living on.

        no... but then you just block the /32 and your fine... :)
        kind of like how people now block /8s for ranges that are
        "messy"

--bill