nanog mailing list archives

Re: Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:40:51 -0700

Bryan,

On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Bryan Fields wrote:
Here is some unverified calculations I did on the problem of scaling nat.

Right now I'm using 42 translation entries in my nat table.  Each entry takes
up 312 bytes of FIB memory, which is ~12.7 Kib of data in the FIB.  Mutiply
this by 250k users and we have 3,124,237 KiB of FIB entries, or 3.1 GiB.  This
is not running any PtP programs or really hitting the network, I'm just
browsing the web and typing this email to you.

This is really interesting data.  What hardware is this on?

Thanks,
-drc