nanog mailing list archives

Re: Route table prefix monitoring

From: Warren Kumari <warren () kumari net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:57:25 -0400

On Sep 10, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

Olsen, Jason wrote:
Howdy all,

What I'm left thinking is that it would have been great if we'd had a
snapshot of our core routing table as it stood hours or even days prior
to this event occurring, so that I could compare it with our current
"broken" state, so the team could have seen that subnet in the core
table and what the next hop was for the prefix.  Are there any tools
that people are using to track when/what prefixes are added/withdrawn
from their routing tables, or to pull the routing table as a whole at
regular intervals for storage/comparison purposes?  It looks like
there's a plugin for NAGIOS, but I'm looking for suggestions on any
other tools (commercial, open source, home grown) that we might take a
look at.  For reference, we are running Cisco as well as Juniper kit.

Periodic table dumps, or even a log of the updates from a quagga router
inside your infrastructure could provide this information. That in a
nutshell is what routeviews and other collectors do for the dfz routing
table.

There is also an Internet draft for the BGP Monitoring Protocol (hhttp://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-bmp-02) . This draft provides for a method whereby the BGP speakers export their received updates to a central collector. This allows you to get route views in (more) real time, with no more screen scraping (and probably much lower CPU as well). Personally I think its an awesome idea and is something that we have need for a long long time (over the years I must have written 7-8 screen scrapers to get BGP RIB info, and they always suck).

Draft Abstract:
This document proposes a simple protocol, BMP, which can be used to monitor BGP sessions. BMP is intended to provide a more convenient interface for obtaining route views for research purpose than the screen-scraping approach in common use today. The design goals are to keep BMP simple, useful, easily implemented, and minimally service-affecting. BMP is not suitable for use as a routing protocol.

Feel free to drop me your thoughts off-list.

Thank you for any insight ahead of time,

-Jason "Feren" Olsen

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
                -- H. L. Mencken