nanog mailing list archives

Re: dealing with bogon spam ?

From: Leslie <leslie () craigslist org>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:10:56 -0700

I failed to mention we're seeing this from an unallocated /20 whose parent /8 is allocated to ARIN (and is partially in use)

Leslie

Leslie wrote:
First off, I'm not certain if unallocated space in blocks less than a /8 is properly called bogon, so pardon my terminology if I'm incorrect.

We're seeing a decent chunk of spam coming from an unallocated block of address space. We use CYMRU's great list of /8 bogon space to prevent completely off the wall abuse, but the granularity stops at /8's. Obviously, I've written the originating AS and its single upstream provider (sadly without any response). I'm not looking for a one time solution for this issue however -- I'd like to permanently block (and kick) anyone who's using unallocated space illegitimately.

How have you dealt with this issue? Does anyone publish a more granular listing of unallocated space? Does arin have this information somewhere other than just probing any given ip via whois?

Thanks!
Leslie
Craigslist Spam Hater