nanog mailing list archives

Re: Consistent asymetric latency on monitoring?

From: Nathan Ward <nanog () daork net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:40:00 +1300

On 22/10/2009, at 2:31 PM, Perry Lorier wrote:

I assume this product works by having a packet with a timestamp sent from the source to the destination where it is timestamped again and either sent back, or another packet is sent in the other direction. The difference between the two timestamps gives you the latency in that direction.

I believe a packet is sent, and the target router responds with a timestamp.

But yeah, timestamps are being compared.

I'm with Perry though - sounds like your clocks are drifting.

--
Nathan Ward