nanog mailing list archives

Re: 2009.10.21 NANOG47 day 3 notes

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:56:31 -0500

Ray Soucy wrote:
Would be a good idea to stop spreading the false assumption that "ipv6
enable" determines whether or not IPv6 is active on an interface.

Play with IPv6 and is-is enough on a Cisco router, and you'll enable it as a matter of practice too. It's the definitive way to say "yes, this interface needs IPv6 active and I don't care if there's an address bound or not". I forget the exact circumstances, but I ran into several cases where I had undesired results and needed to manually enable IPv6 on an interface. Oh, and different versions of IOS behave differently towards IPv6. Imagine that.

Jack