nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Class C's just lit on on AT&T, spamming

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:03:02 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Jay Hennigan wrote:

I don't see how this relates to IPv4-runout. The allocation (to AT&T) isn't all that new...and when they cancel this spammer, the space will undoubtedly be assigned to another customer.

And that other customer will find that it's poisoned space and will need to look for another subnet.

I don't buy that once IP space has been used by a spammer it's ruined forever. Only if abuse complaints are ignored for a considerable time are the IPs likely to end up widely privately blacklisted. Even then, I don't believe "space is widely blacklisted, please give us more" is a valid justification for going to ARIN for more IPs.

We've terminated spammer customers...and reused their assignments.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |