nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smartcard and non-password methods (was Re: Password repository)

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 13:55:31 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Since this plays nicely with eap-tls, 802.1x. ike, ssl/tls, and s/mime
it seems like a shoe-in, once you have a uniform authentication system
one is inclined to use it for everything. obviously being involved in
several of these with with multiple ca's is something of a pain in the
ass if it involves juggling 2 or more tokens instead of passwords.
(which are already a problem if you have to trach quite a few
non-overlapping ones.

Yep, there are lots of potential technologies out there. I've also implemented several on your list. I'm trying to stay neutral about the technology, as long as it works. I suppose my question was more about market share/mind share. Figure out where everyone else is already go, and then get in front of that :-).

So where is the market going beyond passwords?