nanog mailing list archives

Re: Gig Throughput on IPSEC - alternatively Layer2 encryption devices

From: adel () baklawasecrets com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:07:03 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers to the Juniper devices.  I think I'm really thinking about layer2 encryption, rather than do
the encryption using IPSEC.  I feel that as its a p-t-p fibre link, this makes
most sense in terms of throughput and least impact on the network.  Operating at layer3 the IPSEC solution introduces
more complexity than I would like across this link.  As I understand
it, with layer2 encryption devices VLANs between the sites, would "just work".  I'm interested to hear of peoples
experiences with layer 2 encryption devices out there, as I don't have that
much experience with them.

I think my subject line mentioning IPSEC is a bit confusing as I'm really after information on Layer2 encryption
hardware.

Adel

On Wed   6:45 PM , Brad Fleming bdfleming () kanren net sent:

On Nov 11, 2009, at 3:25 AM, adel@