nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: David Ulevitch <davidu () everydns net>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:31:55 -0500

On 11/10/09 8:05 AM, John Peach wrote:
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 18:15:09 -0500
David Ulevitch<davidu () everydns net>  wrote:

On 11/9/09 6:06 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:

Anything else is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. I don't understand how or
why this could possibly be controversial.

Because some people want the ability and choice to block DNS
to reject email they don't want to accept.

When the conficker worms phones home to one of the 50,000 potential
domains names it computes each day, there are a lot of IT folks out
there that wish their local resolver would simply reject those DNS
requests so that infected machines in their network fail to phone
home.

To use your language, I don't understand how or why this could
possibly be controversial.  --  Apparently it is.

In which case, make your own nameserver authoritative for those
domains; do not foist your own wishes on other people.

Umm... That's precisely what I've done.  Please read the thread.

-David