nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: bmanning () vacation karoshi com
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 01:55:54 +0000

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 08:32:38PM -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
  notbeing Paul, its rude of me to respond - yet you posted this
  to a public list ... so here goes.

  Why do you find your behaviour in your domains acceptable and yet
the
  same behaviour in others zones to be "a Bad Thing" and should be
stopped?

Thought I was clear: Choice.

I believe there is a qualitative difference between a *TLD and a
second level domain.  /Especially/ for the GTLDs.

        so you are making the arguement that as one navigates
        the dns heirarchy, operational choices nearer the root
        affect more people.

        as may be. - yet we see ICANN under serious pressure to
        flatten out the root zone - to create the same amount of choice
        at the root as one might find in .COM

        I will echo your original question to Paul, If its a "Bad Thing"
        at the root or TLD, is it a "Bad Thing" in ianai.com?

        I would say yes it is  -  looking for consistency in the stewardship
        guidelines for any delegation.  personally, I take the path less
        traveled and woudl suggest that a wildcard - at any delegation point -
        can be a useful tool.

        the unspoken compoent here is the diversity of expectation on what
        one might do with a wildcard.  Is the wildcard in and of itself a
        "Bad Thing" or has the wildcard been used in conjunction with other
        heinous practice to unfairly exploit the gullible masses?

        I don't think it fair to blame wildcards here - they are a symptom
        but not the actual cause of "Bad Thing" - for that you need other
        bits in play.

--bill