nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Peer Selection Considerations

From: William Herrin <herrin-nanog () dirtside com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:10:43 -0500

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM,  <adel () baklawasecrets com> wrote:
I have an existing relationship with provider A, colo, cross connects
etc.  Provider A has offered to get the PI space, ASN number,
purchase the transit for us with provider B and manage cross
connects to provider B (they say they have a diverse "fibre
backhaul network").  This is quite attractive from a support
and billing perspective.  Also suspect that provider A will be
able to get more attractive pricing from Provider B than I
would be able to.

Am I missing things that I need to consider?

What happens when provider A is bought by provider C and you want to
dump provider C but keep provider B? You'll have created a conflict of
interest for provider B in any negotiation you have with them.

Be aware that provider A's diverse network for provider A's service is
the same diverse network they'll use to connect you to provider B. As
a result, many or most of the outages which impact provider A will
also impact your connectivity to provider B, defeating the central
purpose of having a provider B.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004