nanog mailing list archives

Re: What DNS Is Not

From: Alex Balashov <abalashov () evaristesys com>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 19:01:38 -0500

Dave Temkin wrote:

Alex Balashov wrote:
Thought-provoking article by Paul Vixie:

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=1647302

I doubt Henry Ford would appreciate the Mustang.

I don't think that is a very accurate analogy, and in any case, the argument is not that we should immediately cease at once all the things we do with DNS today.

DNS is one of the more centralised systems of the Internet at large; it works because of its reliance on intermediate caching and end-to-end accuracy.

It seems to me the claim is more that DNS was not designed to handle them and that if this is what we want to do, perhaps something should supplant DNS, or, alternate methods should be used.

For example, perhaps in the case of CDNs geographic optimisation should be in the province of routing (e.g. anycast) and not DNS?

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems