nanog mailing list archives

Re: Small guys with BGP issues

From: Steve Bertrand <steve () ibctech ca>
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 23:40:55 -0500

Steve Bertrand wrote:
Seems to me that some people have issues when a thread is taken over.
capiche...

However, it also seems to me that there are people here who are
intelligent engineers who are afraid to speak, due to the size of the
company they work for.

On behalf of the 'small guys', it sucks when you big(ger) guys:

- don't listen to us
- practice good behaviour (bcp38) and don't preach it
- speak proudly of decent support, but don't respond to people who
aren't staffed by a tier(x)
- act as though you know something, but won't get out of the textbook
mentality
- again, this isn't a test for ccie, just because were working in
smaller *sp's doesn't mean that we know less than you
- we work hard. We have smaller networks. I bet we defend our border
egress to you than you defend toward us
- if all small guys like me are the same, then the 'big boys' should be
motivated to move forward

Lets take it off topic and off-thread...

This is a big-boy list. Out of the small guys on this big boy list, lets
have a hands-up for who is doing the right thing (v6 & network defence &
protecting their connected networks )...

Holy shiat,

I can't even deal with the off-list feedback! Thank you!

Politically, unfortunately, I'm not that type. I can't do much there. I
wish that I could make decisions with the company purse, but I can't...

On the other hand, I wish I could direct operations. I know what needs
to be done, and I know how to command people to get there. I *think* I
know how to direct an entire company (given its geo-location) to success
given the area it's in.

Nonetheless, I am where I am, and I like it. I am responsible for what
comes into my network, and what leaves it. I have written an ISP
management system, and ensure/troubleshoot montly revenue streams.

I love my job. I love being an ISP. Unfortunately, my ISP doesn't love
me the same way. ( I can understand the business aspect, but at least
show that you are technically inclined!)

Steve