nanog mailing list archives

Re: Congress may require ISPs to block fraud sites H.R.3817

From: Dan Golding <dgolding () tier1research com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:58:35 -0600

On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:24 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

On Nov 5, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:40:09 CST, Bryan King said:
Did I miss a thread on this? Has anyone looked at this yet?

`(2) INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS- Any Internet service provider
that, on
or through a system or network controlled or operated by the
Internet
service provider, transmits, routes, provides connections for, or
stores
any material containing any misrepresentation of the kind
prohibited in
paragraph (1) shall be liable for any damages caused thereby,
including
damages suffered by SIPC, if the Internet service provider--

"routes" sounds the most dangerous part there.  Does this mean that
if
we have a BGP peering session with somebody, we need to filter it?

Also "transmits".  (I'm impressed that someone in Congress knows the
word "routes"....)

Don't get hung up on the wording. A DNS blackhole list will do the
trick as well. I don't think border ACLs on routers will be necessary.

- Daniel Golding