nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Joe Greco <jgreco () ns sol net>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:27:41 -0500 (CDT)

Joe Greco wrote:
One of the goals of providing larger address spaces was to reduce (and
hopefully eliminate) the need to burn forwarding table entries where
doing so isn't strictly necessary.  When we forget this, it leads us
to the same sorts of disasters that we currently have in v4.

And if you are encouraging /48 handouts, /32 isnt large enough to
prevent that on the global level.

I don't know that I'm *en*couraging /48 handouts, but on the other hand,
I'm not sure I'm *dis*couraging it either.

On one hand, there's a reasonable argument to be made that the average
home user does not currently have enough devices to fill more than a
/124's worth of space.

But.

You have RFC3041 and similar techniques, stateless autoconfig, and a
variety of other general things that make it really awful for the default
ethernet network size to be something besides a /64.

Further, it seems clear from most discussions I've had, that people
really do want or need the ability to have multiple networks, for a
variety of practical reasons.  Many of these have to do with keeping
different zones firewalled in particular ways,

So, really, I think the question is, how many unique firewalling
policies is a household likely to have, and then, maybe how many other
neighbors/friends/etc are also freeloading on that connection, each
with the same needs?

A /56 allows up to 256 networks.  For today, that's pretty clearly
all that I can reasonably imagine even a sophisticated home network
along with several neighbors needing.  Probably even within the next
ten years.  At some point, however, it is possible that a /48 would
be a better choice.

I would definitely prefer to see a /56, or maybe a /48, handed out
today.

If we get into the practice of handing out /64's, it is just going
to encourage bad hacky design compromises and CPE/SOHO gear kludges
in the future?

... JG