nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why choose 120 volts?

From: "Kevin Oberman" <oberman () es net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 13:05:36 -0700

From: Alex Rubenstein <alex () corp nac net>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:43:20 -0400

I have a pure curiosity question for the NANOG crowd here. If you run
your facility/datacenter/cage/rack on 120 volts, why?

Because we are stupid.

I've been running my facility at 208 for years because I can get away
with lower amperage circuits. I'm curious about the reasons for using
high-amp 120 volt circuits to drive racks of equipment instead of
low-amp 208 or 240 volt circuits.

That makes you smarter than the average guy.

But, if we were really smart, we'd run at least 277, or maybe
347. Countless amounts of money would be saved on losses
(transformation), copper (smaller wire), and many other areas. Most of
the stuff we all run is already insulated for these voltage levels.

Even better would be all two pole 2 pole 480's or 2 pole 600's, then
we wouldn't need neutrals.

Oh, yeah! Nothing sounds like more fun than working in a room full of
480 or 600 delta. I LIKE neutrals. (Sort of like I like continuing to
have a functioning heart.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)