nanog mailing list archives

Re: MX problems

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:19:48 -0700

Polar Humenn wrote:
I'm in Syracuse NY, and I'm having problems getting sendmail to get to MX
servers, with the errors of "No Route to Host" or "Connection timed Out".
Apparently this is been happening for over 5 days. I can send mail within
Syracuse University, but as soon as I venture out nothing. Traceroute seems
to loose it after about the 9 or 10th hop.

It seems that I can get to almost any website, but tracerouting or pinging
these MX servers is not happening.

Is there anything going on, or at least something that started 5-7 days ago?

I find the same problem from within Syracuse Univeristy to my RoadRunner
account at home (which does not pass through the university routers). I only
noticed it from the university since thats where I usually send my email
through. Like I would no have been able to post to this list

Many ISPs, especially for residential and similar customers, filter TCP 25 outbound and provide a "smart host" MTA on net for their customers to use for sending outbound mail. This is an anti-abuse measure.

If an offnet MX host returns pings but times out when you telnet to port 25, you're probably being filtered (somewhat) locally.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net