nanog mailing list archives

Re: how to fix incorrect GeoIP data?

From: Mark Foster <blakjak () blakjak net>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 09:58:08 +1200 (NZST)

I don't think self-reporting is the answer.

You MIGHT be able to determine location based on a traceroute, though
anycast would surely derail such attempts.  I suspect most people rely on
3rd party GeoIP databases, and that those companies aren't interested in
hearing from you about your location change, mostly because they are
worried that if they do, the evildoers will overrun them with bad
requests, or bait and switch, making their data less accurate than it is
now without your block being correct.

Having recently leapt through a few GeoIP hoops to see about getting records fixed[1], perhaps the NANOG wiki could feature 'known ways to fix GeoIP' and be used as a reference?

Seems to be something that's going to be more, not less, significant to customers and network operators alike going forward.

Mark.

[1] http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg13895.html