nanog mailing list archives

Re: Where to buy Internet IP addresses

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 22:51:46 -0400

On Mon, 04 May 2009 21:29:29 CDT, Jack Bates said:
Ricky Beam wrote:
If I'm allowed to subnet my single /64, then I'm still not using NAT.
And as long as I don't go beyond /80, autoconfig can still work, at
least on ethernet -- which is pretty much 99.999% of cases. (not that I
advocate the use of autoconfig. *grin*)

Sorry, Ricky. But that won't work. EUI-64 is required for autoconfig,
and it expands the 48 bits to 64 bits by inserting FFFF or FFFE
depending on if the original is a MAC-48 or EUI-48 identifier.

I think Ricky's point is that he could do autoconfig in a /80 as long as there
isn't the semi-gratuitous MAC-48->EUI-64 expansion.