nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network SLA

From: Charles Wyble <charles () thewybles com>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:37:08 -0700

What products/services do you use for traffic generation? Also what sort of testing methodology do you use? As for random probes that certainly seems like a nice feature.

Holmes,David A wrote:
We use BRIX for SLA's by measuring round trip times, jitter, and packet
loss across all of our backbone links. In conjunction with a traffic
generator to add background traffic, and potentially invoke queueing on
interfaces, we have found that BRIX enables us to accurately predict the
behavior of new applications, particularly multicast and HD video,
without the need to implement elaborate QoS configurations. BRIX is now
owned by EXFO, a fiber optic test equipment manufacturer. Low values for
rtt, jitter, and packet loss imply a relatively queue-free network,
which makes confident predictions about network behavior easier.
When we last looked at the technology, the Cisco IP SLA probes did not
capture a random distribution of network events, as the probes are
triggered every N minutes. BRIX randomizes the probes within a
configurable window, so that, over time, all time intervals are covered
by the accumulated probes.

--
Charles N Wyble charles () thewybles com
(818)280-7059 http://charlesnw.blogspot.com