nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for data : Earth Hour - traffic stats [28 March 2009 20:30-21:30 local]

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:06:04 -0700

jamie rishaw wrote:
Ninjas,

  I'm compiling some data re this year's "Earth Hour"[1] .

  For those not in the know, or those that dismissed it, "Earth Hour" is
something the World Wildlife Fund cooked up, suggesting that the world "turn
off" all non-essential electrical  devices, to demonstrate some
global-warming hypothesis.

  I'm looking for data - either compiled or raw - of activity between 8:30
(20:30) and 9:30 (21:30) "local" time.  Power usage (and comparisons against
previous weeks if available) and probably easier to push out - bandwidth
info (and, again, comparisons against previous 2030-2130-saturday-night
data).

  All data will be anonymized.  Sources, if you send from $work email, will
not be included in any summarizations.

  I think this will turn out to be some rather interesting info.  I'll post
findings to nanog, of course, or at least, appropriate urls and such.

I say we all run "off the grid" on generator power for earth hour. (At
least that's what I'm saying because it was coincidentally my regular
automatic exercise time with load transfer.)

~Seth