nanog mailing list archives

Re: SNMP and syslog forwarders

From: Martin Mersberger <gremlin () portal-to-web de>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 07:09:43 +0100

Hi Sam,

For SNMP Traps, we were using 'Concord TrapExploder'. I'm not sure, if
this is still named that way - it's now more than 1.5 years ago, I'd
been involved in that project.
As we had configured all network elements to send the Traps to both
TrapExploders, we had to de-duplicate the traps on the EventManagement
piece of our NMS platform. But that's been an easy one...

For Syslog, we had used syslog-ng and it was just running like a charm..

.. just my 2ct's

regards
        Martin

It's looking like running all of our traps and syslog through a couple
of relay devices (and then onwards to the various NMS's) would be quite
a win for us.

These relay devices just need to be "dumb" forwarders (we don't require
any filtering or storing, just reflection), but we need an HA pair
(across two sites) without creating duplicates.

I have the coding skills to make this myself, but as coding skills come
and go in our network team, we are looking for a commerical product so
it will continnue to work after I get:  hit by a bus / amnesia / visions

of grandeur.

Any recommendations / experience? This needs to scale to ~1,500 devices.

Thanks,

Sam