nanog mailing list archives

Re: Redundant AS's

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:44:50 -0700

When I look at this more recently, the conclusion still seems to be
valid: we'll run out of 16 bit ASN's somewhere in 2011 to 2013.  There
are a lot of unused ASN's out there.  Recovering them will postpone the
problem by a few years but it won't solve it.  The basic problem with
recovery is how to decide if an ASN is really no longer used/needed.
There is (still) no mechanism to do this.

sounds a lot like IPv4 space, eh?

Why not go after low lying fruit first?  If an ASN was assigned years
ago and hasn't appeared in the RIB for the past year that ASN should
be reclaimed.  Send warning emails to the registered contacts as well
as to the assigning LIR and after 3 months - just reclaim it.

because property is unused publicly does not affect the rights of its
owner(s).  otherwise old car collector wannabes could have a heyday.

perhaps the world would be a better place if we spent less energy on net
vigilanteism and more on moving to IPv6 and 4-byte AS numbers.

randy