nanog mailing list archives

AT&T Security Contact

From: Jeff Wheelhouse <nanog () capequilog com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 17:13:45 -0400

Hi All,

One of our customers has forwarded us a rambling, disjointed threat from someone sending from abuse () sbcglobal net who claims to be "the Security Manager for AT&T Internet Services Security Center, its subsidiaries and affiliates" who won't provide a name or personal contact information but who promises to (and I quote) "DNS Block" some of the customer's IP's (in our allocation) over a problem AT&T has with one of the customer's customers.

After reading the message, I checked the situation myself and the problem complained about appears to have been resolved some time ago, if it ever existed at all.

Also, the IP's in question are not, as far as I know, DNS servers; I am quite sure they are shared hosting IP's, so I don't know what AT&T is proposing to do, exactly, but it sounds like a threat to interfere with a bunch of innocent people's web sites for what appear to be bogus reasons.

They have ignored multiple confirmed-delivery-I've-seen-the-logs attempts to respond by our customer, our customer's customer, and myself.

Could I please get someone from AT&T to contact me off-list about this before it turns into a "thing?"

Thanks!

Jeff