nanog mailing list archives

RE: Is your ISP blocking outgoing port 25?

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:38:14 +0100 (BST)

The bootstrap question is addressed by requiring the end-user to know their
e-mail address and password.  Based on the domain name, the implementation
would reach out to https://something.domain-name.tld and download the
relevant "schema" and data for IMAP, SMTP, POP3, etc, in ordered priority.
Based on what the e-mail client could support, the desired settings would be
displayed, and upon end-user approval, applied.

End-user approval?  That means support calls, ISPs wouldn't like that.

I can believe something like this could be made to work, but I would think hard about all the way that web sessions can get screwed up or hijacked before I persuaded myself that a scheme was likely to work where it needed to work (e.g., when connecting to a hotspot that hijacks all web sessions until you log in) while not being subject to hostile spoofing.

Followups definitely to IETF-something.

R's,
John