nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verio taking twitter down during Iran Election Riots?

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:55:10 -0400

On Jun 16, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Jack Bates wrote:

Erik Fichtner wrote:
And yet, all upgrades can be postponed with the right... motivation.

Hmmm, you do know that motivation may have strictly been, "Your maintenance corresponds with a major event, can you put it off for a day?"

The maintenance in question has obviously been marked critical by NTTA with what appears to be short notification and limiting the delay to a minimum. They may have been unaware of the event and its importance to their customers.

I'm more curious about what maintenance they are actually performing. I know they run mixed Cisco/Juniper, and all their Junipers should be able to handle in service upgrades. Of course, even switching hits of an upgrade warrants setting a maintenance window and notification due to Murphy.

Tehran is currently UTC/GMT +4:30 hours. The current downtime is for 2:00 PM Pacific, or 1:30 AM in Tehran. That seems to be unfortunately still "prime time" for the nightly demonstrations, one of which is
going on now.

If the idea is to avoid such collisions, 5:00 PM or even 6:00 PM PDT would probably be better.

Regards
Marshall

Jack