nanog mailing list archives

Coax wiring. MoCA between neighbors.

From: Dongsu Han <dongsu.han () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:28:08 -0400

Hi All,
I'm trying to find out how coax cables are wired in a residential area to each house. I found out that "drop amp" amplifies the signal just out side the building, and a few neighbors share the drop amp (basically a powered splitter). What other devices are there? I'm also trying to find out whether my neighbors would be able to overhear the MoCA signal from my apartment. Anyone knows the answer?

For example, my apartment building has a cabinet that concentrates all coax cables from all units, and the 2~4 coax cables are attached to a device in the cabinet. I'm assuming it is a drop amp and I think MoCa signals can travel across the drop amp. Is my guess correct?

Any comments on coax cable wiring between houses or apartments and MoCA technology would be very useful.

Thank you,
Dongsu