nanog mailing list archives

Re: Eye protection in DWDM systems -- what threshold?

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 14:44:53 -0700

Deepak Jain wrote:
Does anyone *use* any eye protection (other that not looking at the
light, turning off the light etc) -- I mean like protective goggles,
etc, when doing simple things like adding/removing patch cables from an
SMF patch panel.

There are osha requirements and ansi standards.

    ANSI Z136.1 - Safe Use of Lasers
    ANSI Z136.2 - Safe Use of Lasers in Optical Fiber Communication
        Systems Utilizing Laser Diode and LED Sources

I get that if you *know* the gear you are using has a Class 3 laser on
it, you should be careful... but when you are patching it into a
building's cable plant and some schmuck is patching the last leg in for
you (or has pulled it accidentally, etc).. um, "don't look at it" is our
community's BCP?

Actually that's pretty much the requirement for 3r, for 3b and 4 the
requirements for eye protection and manual safety systems are much
higher. All this high power stuff is rather rare (your cisco ons for
example is a class 1 laser product), unless you terminate one end of a
submarine system you'll likely never see a class 4 laser in this context.

I tend to carry around extra dust protection boots in the tool bag to
recover the exposed sc/st plugs that seem to accumulate in panels that
people touch a lot, mostly, it protects the ends of the ferrules.

DJ