nanog mailing list archives

Re: Point to Point Ethernet

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 23:09:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Zartash Uzmi wrote:

Can you say why precisely the cost of Ethernet is low compared to other viable alternatives?

The components going into ethernet devices are cheaper because of high volume, but it's also that the SONET/SDH stuff is grossly overpriced "because we can" by short sighted vendors. There are cheap ethernet ports for cheap platforms, there are basically no cheap SONET/SDH ports anywhere.

POS is technically better compared to Ethernet for carrier links imho, but for instance Cisco price their SPA-TENGE-XFP at 1/6 the cost of SPA-OC192-XFP.

I know quite a lot of people who would gladly pay more for POS, but not that much more.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se