nanog mailing list archives

Re: Point to Point Ethernet

From: sthaug () nethelp no
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 17:59:34 +0200 (CEST)

Speaking from a personal interest, has the Point-to-Point Protocol
stopped being useful?

After all, PPP over Sonet/SDH was specifically designed for just this case.

Absolutely, and it still works great for that purpose.

However, given a provider backbone with Ethernet being the underlying
technology, I don't see why anybody would want to use PPP on top of
Ethernet instead of just plain Ethernet. After all we're *not* talking
about DSL or dialup here, there's no need to authenticate users etc.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no