nanog mailing list archives

expectations for bgp peering?

From: mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:25:31 -0800

Hello,

So I am just wondering what my expecations should be in a bgp peering scenario where I am multihomed with my own ASN and arin assigned ip space. At issue is the fact that my backup isp forced me to use ebgp multihop to peer with a router internal to their network and not the border router I am directly attached to, and secondly, that they say I am not allowed to prepend at all - they will do it for me, and from the looks of things they have established a route-map that just prepends their AS 6 times to my announcement.

This smells of bad engineering. I have looked up the bgp report for my provider and they have 0 downstream AS's, and the week that this project has taken (and it's still not up and working) has left me with less than absolute confidence in the provider. I want to know if anyone has an opinion on ebgp multihop for external customers, and wether I should really have an expectation to be able to assign my prepends as suits my needs? Are there any conditions that could make this fail that I should be aware of?

Mike-