nanog mailing list archives

Re: DNS Amplification attack?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:21:43 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Kameron Gasso <kgasso-lists () visp net> wrote:

We're also seeing a great number of these, but the idiots spoofing the
queries are hitting several non-recursive nameservers we host - and only
generating 59-byte "REFUSED" replies.

Looks like they probably just grabbed a bunch of DNS hosts out of WHOIS
and hoped that they were recursive resolvers.

a point to bear in mind here is that... 'its working' is good enough
for the bad folks :( no need to optimize when this works. Also, it's
likely this isn't all of the problem the spoofed requestors are seeing
these past few days :(

-Chris