nanog mailing list archives

Re: Anyone notice strange announcements for 174.128.31.0/24

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:12:02 -0500

On 2009-01-12, at 15:39, Florian Weimer wrote:

So does "academic" mean "unethical" these days?

I think this is over the line.  You can't put other people's IDs into
routing data on production networks.  (Well, technically you can,
obviously, but you shouldn't.)

The AS_PATH attribute is a loop-avoidance mechanism, not a signature on a cheque.

AS_PATH prepending with your own and with others' AS numbers (the latter intended to effect "don't let this prefix leak into that AS") has been sitting in the inter-domain traffic engineering toolbox for years.

I see no lack of ethics in the simple act of the as-path prepend as part of a route export policy.

Joe