nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ethical DDoS drone network

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 01:08:24 -0500

On Jan 4, 2009, at 9:18 PM, deleskie () gmail com wrote:

Super risky. This would be a 99% legal worry plus. Unless all the end points and networks they cross sign off on it the risk is beyond huge.

Since when do I need permission of "networks they cross" to send data from a machine I (legitimately) own to another machine I own? If this were an FTP or other data transfer, would I have any legal issues? And if not, how is that different from load testing using a random protocol?

Before anyone jumps up & down, I know that all networks reserve the right to filter, use TE, or otherwise alter traffic passing over their infrastructure to avoid damage to the whole. But if I want to (for instance) stream a few 100 Gbps and am paying transit for all bits sent or received, since when do I have any legal worries?

You want to 'attack' yourself, I do not see any problems. And I see lots of possible benefits. Hell, just figuring out which intermediate networks cannot handle the added load is useful information.

--
TTFN,
patrick