nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Confusion

From: Aria Stewart <aredridel () nbtsc org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:03:27 -0700

On Feb 18, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Leo Bicknell wrote:

Try that with an IPv6 router. About 10 ms after you plug into the wrong
port out goes an RA, the entire subnet ceases to function, and your
phone lights up like a christmas tree.

Let me repeat, none of these solutions are secure. The IPv4/DHCP model
is ROBUST, the RA/DHCPv6 model is NOT.

Depends -- the DHCP model also ceases to work, and some time later, when there's no cause and effect.

When I've added a misconfigured router to my IPv6 network, I added a few prefixes, but since it never worked, it never got used. Multihoming and good address selection seems to be a real win there.

Good router authentication would be a nice thing to have in both cases, though.

Aria Stewart
aredridel () nbtsc org