nanog mailing list archives

Re: Global Blackhole Service

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:28:57 -0500

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:57:32 +0100, Jens Ott - PlusServer AG said:
Therefore I had the following idea: Why not taking one of my old routers and
set it up as blackhole-service. Then everyone who is interested could set up a
session to there and

1.) announce /32 (/128) routes out of his prefixes to blackhole them
2.) receive all the /32 (/128) announcements from the other peers with the IPs
they want to have blackholed and rollout the blackhole to their network.

How do you vet proposed new entries to make sure that some miscreant doesn't
DoS a legitimate site by claiming it is in need of black-holing?  Note that
it's a different problem space than a bogon BGP feed or a spam-source BGP
feed - if the Cymru guys take another 6 hours to do a proper paperwork and
background check to verify a bogon, or if Paul and company take another day
to verify something really *is* a cesspit of spam sources, it doesn't break the
basic concept or usability of the feed.

You usually don't *have* a similar luxury if you're trying to deal with a
DDoS, because those are essentially a real-time issue.

Oh, and cleaning up an entry in a timely fashion is also important, otherwise
an attacker can launch a DDoS, get the target into the feed, and walk away...