nanog mailing list archives

RE: v6 & DSL / Cable modems [was: Private use of non-RFC1918 IP space(IPv6-MW)]

From: "TJ" <trejrco () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:37:22 -0500

Five things?  Really?  My DHCP server hands out the following things to its
clients:

Default Route
DNS Servers
Log host
Domain Name (or, our case, the sub-domain for the office) NIS Domain NIS
Servers NTP Server WINS Servers SMTP Server POP Server NNTP Server Domain
suffix search orders.

All these useful and handy things that my Windows, Unix (Irix and Solaris),
Linux, and FreeBSD clients all need some portion of, in one place where I
configure and control it.

Super, great and wonderful.  Keep doing so.
But I think Iljitsch's point is that I shouldn't have to run DHCPv6 when I
can get everything I need from SLAAC.
In other words, what is wrong with having two complimentary pieces:
        Router:
                Sends out RAs, gets hosts a default gateway ... and maybe a
prefix ... and maybe a DNS server
        DHCPv6:
                Hands out other information (DNS server) and maybe addresses
upon request from host

Having to deal with configuration and control of this in multiple places is
only going to make the sysadmins of the world hate you.

Sorry, are your routers not getting any sort of configuration now?
If it is a Cisco box once you give that Ethernet interface an address it
will send out RAs by default, no extra work.
In fact, less work - you don't need to configure your DHCPv6 server with the
default gateway addresses of every subnet.