nanog mailing list archives

Re: slightly OT: wall mount UPS for demarc

From: Jay Hennigan <jay () west net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:19:07 -0800

Peter Pauly wrote:
I'm looking to buy several small wall mounted UPS's to power a telco's
metro ethernet switches. (Yes, they should have provided some kind of
protection, but won't).

The closest suitable UPS I've found is this:

http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=419&EID=361&txtModelID=3640

Can anyone suggest a better alternative?

I want something sturdy, preferably metal, that can screw to a wall
and be worry free for years at a time.

Any UPS will have batteries, probably sealed lead-acid for a small UPS. That is likely to negate "worry free for years at a time", especially if wall-mounted in an unconditioned demarc/MPOE closet as opposed to a temperature-controlled data center.

At a minimum, plan on an annual visit to do routine maintenance and load test the batteries. You'll be lucky to get more than three years of service out of them.

A typical Chatsworth, etc. 19-inch rack shelf available in various depths can be flipped around and screwed to a wall to support many of the stand-alone UPSes.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay () impulse net